Your erstwhile correspondent has been out of town and under the weather (figuratively and literally). Here’s what’s going on around the Birmingham theatre scene—-quite a lot!
Playing this weekend
- Mrs. Mannerly at Terrific New Theatre, reviewed here by Alec Harvey at al.com.
- Yankee Tavern at Birmingham Festival Theatre, reviewed here by Alec Harvey on al.com.
- In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play at Theatre Downtown.
- 9 to 5: the Musical at the Virginia Samford Theatre, opening this weekend.
- Tommy, presented by the Department of Theatre at Birmingham-Southern College, this weekend only.
- The WCC Winter New Play Festival at the University of Montevallo, featuring works written and directed by UM Theatre students, playing this weekend only.
- Sylvia, South City Theatre’s entry to the SETC Community Theatre division competition, playing at the Leeds Arts Council this weekend (and back at SCT’s Alabaster venue on February 8 & 9).
- 8, the Play, presented as a staged reading by the UAB Department of Theatre in cooperation with the Alliance for LGBT Equality at UAB, playing this Saturday at the Alys Stephens Center.
- Ugly Baby Improv has a handful of shows in the offing, including next Wednesday’s Funkytown Improv Jam at Avondale Brewing Company, featuring guest appearances by members of Extemporaneous Theatre Company and Positively Funny, Inc.
- Living Together, Theatre Downtown’s entry to the SETC Community Theatre division competition, presented February 8-9, including refreshments and a special performance by Extemporaneous Theatre Company.
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, presented as a staged reading by Dane Peterson’s Theatre Series as a benefit for Birmingham Aids Outreach. for one evening only (Sunday, February 10, at 6pm) at the B & A Warehouse.
- Auditions for: Theresa Rebeck’s Seminar, directed by JJ Marrs, presented by Theatre Downtown; King Lear, presented by Bards of Birmingham; and All’s Well That Ends Well, also presented by Bards of Birmingham.